Paperback and Kindle: Pull The Plug on ObamaCare
Welcome to the official companion web page to the pamphlet ‘Pull the Plug on Obamacare’ by Howard Hyde, now available on Amazon.com in paperback and also in Kindle edition, waiting for YOUR customer review.
This page is where you will find the books, websites, organizations and studies that are the factual sources and logical inspirations for the pamphet. Be sure to return here and to the Home page frequently for updates and breaking news.
If you don’t own the book already, the chapter-by-chapter notes below will give you a good idea of why you should.
Obamacare is not a done deal!
It still can and must be rolled back because:
- It’s based on false premises.
- The US healthcare system, for all its warts, is still the best that yet exists in the world.
- It harms more than it solves.
- “Pass it to find out what’s in it”? Now that it has passed, you won’t believe what’s in it!
- It will never fulfill its advertised promises.
- Health insurance on average has already become $5,500 more expensive than expected.
- You can’t keep the doctor you like if (s)he’s quitting.
- You can’t keep the plan you like if your employer drops it or it doesn’t meet the approval of the HHS.
- Command-and-control economies have failed and will always fail, no matter the party in charge.
- Living under this law’s regime will be much dearer still than the cost of fighting it to the bitter end.
The USA needs real reform that will work.
Whether you are a patient, a doctor, a public official, a political activist or just a regular guy or gal who can’t understand what the fuss is all about, this plain-language citizen pamphlet will give you the intellectual ammunition to understand our predicament and to defend your rights, your prosperity and your country.
§ McCaughey, Betsy, PhD, Beating Obamacare, published by Regnery Publishing Inc 2013. Ms. McCaughey has been fighting for meaningful healthcare reform at least since HillaryCare in 1993.
§ Pipes, Sally C, The Truth About Obamacare, pub. by Regnery Publishing Inc, 2010. Don’t say no one warned you.
§ Tate, Nick J. Obamacare Survival Guide: The Affordable Care Act and What It Means for You and Your Healthcare, pub. by Humanix Books, 2012.
§ Pipes, Sally C, The Pipes Plan: The Top 10 Ways to Dismantle Obamacare, pub. by Regnery Publishing Inc, 2012.
§ Turner, Capretta, Miller and Moffit, Why Obamacare is Wrong for America, pub. by HarperCollins, 2011.
§ Waters M.D., William C., 2 Days That Ruined Your Healthcare, pub. by Logicon Press, 2008.
§ Gratzer, David, Why Obama’s Government Takeover of Health Care Will Be a Disaster, pub. by Encounter Books, 2009.
§ John Goodman, Priceless: Curing the Health Care Crisis, pub. by The Independent Instititute, 2012.
Organizations and Online Resources
- The Pacific Research Institute, Sally Pipes, President: http://pacificresearch.org
- Americans for Prosperity: http://americansforprosperity.org/issues/healthcare-entitlements
- The Cato Institute http://www.cato.org/research/health-care
- The Heritage Foundation: http://www.heritage.org/initiatives/health-care
- America’s Medical Society, Dr. Adam Dorin M.D., Founder: http://americasmedicalsociety.com
- American Association of Physicians and Surgeons: http://www.aapsonline.org
“We are an organization of concerned physicians committed to the establishment of a health care system that preserves the sanctity of the doctor-patient relationship, promotes quality of care, supports affordable access to all Americans, and protects patients' freedom of choice.”
- The Independent Institute: http://www.independent.org/issues/search.asp?subID=25
- The Galen Institute: http://www.galen.org
Assorted Notes, Sources and Inspirations, by Chapter and Section
Preface: It’s Christmas Eve, 1776
- Wall Street Journal: Was Scalia's Dissent Originally a Majority Opinion? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304058404577495202841829394.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTSecondBucket&_nocache=1341422328025&user=welcome&mg=id-wsj
- Wall Street Journal: McGurn: Chief Justice Roberts Taxes Credibility. Did the umpire change his call because of the crowd? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304708604577502933866909916.html
- Wall Street Journal: Capretta and Levin: Why ObamaCare Is Still No Sure Thing. The majority of state governors are Republicans, and they have the power to disarm the health-care law. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324735104578122741540428344.html?KEYWORDS=obamacare+is+still+no+sure+thing
- Wall Street Journal: The Constitutional Moment. Judge Vinson introduces ObamaCare to Madison and Marshall. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703439504576116090813454296.html?KEYWORDS=%22the+constitutional+moment%22
- McCullough, David, 1776, published by Simon & Schuster 2005
Is This What You Thought You Were Getting?
- Mandates, Fines and Penalties and employment:
- McCaughey pp 3, 11, 19-22 and
- Pipes (2) chapter 2.
- Wall Street Journal: ObamaCare and the '29ers'. How the new mandates are already reducing full-time employment. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324616604578304072420873666.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEADTop
- “16,000 new IRS agents will be hired to track down individuals and businesses that don't purchase insurance, offer insurance, or fill out the required reams of forms.”
- Pipes (1), page 5.
- Paul Bedard: Healthcare Reform Law Requires New IRS Army Of 1,054
- Pre-existing conditions
- Tate, p. 126
- McCaughey pp. 63-64
- Pipes (2) Chapter 10
- Insurance payout caps: McCaughey p. 60-61.
- Raiding Medicare by $716B: Tate p. 18. See also: ‘Cannibalizing Medicare’.
- Plans required to cover dependent children to age 26: McCaughey 61-62
- Capital Gains tax:
- Tate p. 19
- McCaughey p. 5.
- Mini-Med plans: McCaughey p. 32
- Medical tax deductions:
- McCaughey p. 85.
- Tate p. 31
- The Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB):
- Tate pp. 145-147.
- McCaughey p. 76.
- Pipes (2) chapter 9
- The Medicare Newsgroup: What is the Independent Payment Advisory Board (IPAB)? http://medicarenewsgroup.com/news/medicare-faqs/individual-faq?faqId=c1695c98-3b4d-4ff7-b3de-7020b7180b23
- Heritage Action for America: How Important is Obama’s IPAB? http://heritageaction.com/2011/07/how-important-is-obama%E2%80%99s-ipab/?utm_source=salemcomm&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=blog
- Employers required to know your total household income: McCaugher pp. 33-34.
- Flexible Spending Accounts (FSAs) and Health Savings Accounts (HSAs):
- Pipes (1) p. 163-165
- McCaughey p. 12, 85, 134
- Tate p. 17, 30
- Medicare treatment of seniors: McCaughey p. 67, 70, 72
- Medicare Part A payroll tax: McCaughey p. 13
- Medicare Adavantages cuts:
- McCaughey p. 75-76
- Tate p. 141-144
- Pipes p. 146-148
- McCaughey chapter 7
- Tate chapter 7
- The Hill: Fifteen governors reject or leaning against expanded Medicaid program http://thehill.com/blogs/healthwatch/health-reform-implementation/236033-fifteen-governors-reject-or-leaning-against-expanded-medicaid-program#ixzz2LGEIcD9z
- How Many Businesses Are Exempt? The Final Number Of ‘Obamacare’ Waivers Is In…:
- STEARNS: Obamacare’s waivers for cronies: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/mar/27/obamacare-not-an-enumerated-power-855882400/
- WOLF: Obamacare waiver corruption must stop
Obamacare Misdiagnoses The Problems
There are not 46 million victims
- Pipes (1) Chapter 5
America needs to extend its lead, not catch up with anyone.
- Pipes (1) Chapter 1 (dozens of statistical points about health care successes in the U.S.A. and failures of socialized medicine systems, especially Canada’s)
- McCaughey pp. 114-116 (more on the WHO, cancer survival rates, Nobel Prizes in Medicine and Physiology etc.)
- The Canadian Encyclopedia: Veterinary Care Faster Than Health Care for Humans http://www.encyclopediecanadienne.ca/articles/macleans/veterinary-care-faster-than-health-care-for-humans
- Daniel J. Mitchell: Wanna Die? Try Government-Run Healthcare in the United Kingdom
Out of Control Costs?
- McCaughey pp. 108-110
- Wall Street Journal: Obama's Health Spending 'Problem': http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323936804578230050895623268.html
What Cockroaches, I mean, Insurance Companies?
- Williams, Ron, former chairman and CEO of Aetna: Why I No Longer Support the Health Insurance Mandate. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303734204577464713182634028.html
Free Markets don’t work… except where they are tried.
- Sowell, Thomas, Basic Economics: A Common Sense Guide to the Economy, 4th edition published by Basic Books 2010.
New Budget-Balancing Technique: Massive Expansion of Entitlement Programs
- Wall Street Journal: ObamaCare's Reality Deficit. If you believe that a new entitlement saves money, you'll believe anything. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704415104576065723458609678.html?KEYWORDS=review+outlook+the+repeal+vote
It Harms More Than It Solves
Medical Care Supply and Demand
- Wall Street Journal: The Coming Doctor Shortage. We can't insure 32 million more people and cut funding to train doctors by $60 billion. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703959104576082430910575332.html?KEYWORDS=the+coming+doctor+shortage
- Heritage Foundation: Impact of Obamacare on Seniors: http://heritage.org/research/projects/impact-of-obamacare
- Wall Street Journal: A Doctor's Posthumous Vindication. Peter Gleason spoke his mind about a drug's benefits—then saw his career ruined by the FDA and federal prosecutors. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323981504578174973015235686.html
- Wall Street Journal: The FDA vs. Free Speech. A court decision guts the agency crackdown on off-label drug promotion. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324355904578159464064264032.html
- Wall Street Journal: 'Concierge' Medicine, ObamaCare and the End of Empathy. Traditional primary-care doctors are finding themselves, and their patients, squeezed by the government and the marketplace. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443768804578034172542214016.html?KEYWORDS=concierge+medicine+obamacare+and+the+end+of+empathy
- Wall Street Journal: Doctor Dissident. An ObamaCare refusenik considers his career options. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324469304578146230150943650.html?KEYWORDS=Obamacare
- Wall Street Journal: The Scientific Blind Spot. Knowledge is less a canon than a consensus. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324894104578113590368047244.html
- Medical Student debt:
- Tate Chapter 10
- McCaughey Chapter 11
- Poking the bear in the eye – Obamacare and the federal abuse of power http://c.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/medicine-and-politics-america/2012/oct/26/poking-bear-eye-obamacare-and-federal-abuse-power/
- Wall Street Journal: Yuval Levin on some of the ways Medicare cooks its books compared to private health insurance. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443759504577627243506026490.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion
States become Administrative Departments of the Federal Government
- Wall Street Journal: Hope and Exchange. The feds blame the states for refusing to become ObamaCare subsidiaries. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324556304578121012109574832.html?KEYWORDS=hope+and+exchange
- Wall Street Journal: ObamaCare's Faux Federalism. GOP Governors are smarter than some of their conservative critics. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323981504578179493975282974.html?KEYWORDS=obamacare%27s+faux+federalism
- Wall Street Journal: States of Resistance. Governors are fleeing ObamaCare after the Florida ruling. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703960804576120100812546800.html?KEYWORDS=%22states+of+resistance%22
- Wall Street Journal: An ObamaCare Appeal From the States. Twenty-one governors representing more than 115 million Americans have written to Kathleen Sebelius asking for more flexibility on health-care reform. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703652104576122172835584158.html?KEYWORDS=%22an+obamacare+appeal+from+the+states%22
Are you a Citizen…or a Subject?
- Canada Free Press: Health info collected to “protect the President” http://www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/51564
- Wall Street Journal: Heart Gadgets Test Privacy-Law Limits http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203937004578078820874744076.html
- Wall Street Journal: Physician, Steel Thyself for Electronic Records. Who's got time to listen to patients when the government demands 'meaningful' data entry? http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443675404578058480752741280.html
- Wall Street Journal: A Major Glitch for Digitized Health-Care Records. Savings promised by the government and vendors of information technology are little more than hype. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443847404577627041964831020.html?mod=WSJ_Opinion_LEFTTopOpinion
- Thomas Sowell: Waiving Freedom
- Stephen Soumerai and Ross Koppel: A Major Glitch for Digitized Health-Care Records: Savings promised by the government and vendors of information technology are little more than hype.
- Judicial Watch: Billions Wasted On Faulty Obamacare Digital Health Record Experiment
- Hot Air: Electronic records turn out to potentially add costs rather than reduce them
It Won’t Accomplish What Its Supporters Claim
- Obamacare Promised $2500 Decrease in Cost for Families; Ends up as $3000 Increase
- Grace-Marie Turner: Affordable Care Act will impose new burdens on consumers, businesses
- LA Times Fact check: 'Obamacare' hasn't yet reduced health insurance costs
- “The employer mandate adds $1.79 per hour to the cost of hiring a full-time worker”
McCaughey, p. 1
- Grange, David: ObamaCare's Costs to the Working Class. Perverse incentives will make part-time work more attractive than a better-paying full-time job. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203335504578086702676417058.html
- The Hill: New rules will cause health costs to spike 'overnight'
- Wall Street Journal: ObamaCare's Health-Insurance Sticker Shock: Thanks to mandates that take effect in 2014, premiums in individual markets will shoot up. Some may double.
- Peter Ferrara: “Medicaid pays doctors and hospitals only 60% or less of costs for their health services to the poor. Consequently, the poor on Medicaid face grave difficulties in obtaining timely and essential health care, and suffer worse health outcomes as a result.” http://www.forbes.com/sites/peterferrara/2012/07/05/obamacare-rip-john-roberts-cannot-save-you
- Hal Scherz: Healthcare and Politics Do Not Mix: The Medicaid expansion plan at the state level is not about providing healthcare insurance coverage to those who do not currently have it, and it certainly has nothing to do with compassion. It is about control and dependency. It is about expanding the rolls of Americans who rely on government subsidized healthcare. It is about moving forward with the Affordable Care Act which will ultimately touch every American but will be controlled from Washington DC.
“Because we say so”
- Obamacare supporters claims: http://obamacarefacts.com/obamacare-facts.php
- Michael Tanner: No Free Lunches http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/312196/obamacare-no-free-lunches-michael-tanner
- Yuliya Chernova: Union Drops Health Coverage for Workers’ Children
A History of Cost Overruns.
- WSJ: Health Costs and History: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703746604574461610985243066.html
- Fraser Institute: Aging population and changing demographics mean Canada's health care system facing a funding gap of more than $537 billion http://www.fraserinstitute.org/research-news/news/display.aspx?id=19060
- Fraser Institute: The Unfunded Liability of Canada’s Health Care System http://www.fraserinstitute.org/uploadedFiles/fraser-ca/Content/research-news/research/publications/unfunded-liability-of-canadas-health-care-system.pdf
Why it must and will certainly fail
- von Mises, Ludwig, Socialism. First published in German in 1922. See the Liberty Fund 2010 edition
…or if 600 pages is too much for you, see the 100-page, plain-language:
- von Mises, Ludwig, Economic Policy: Thoughts for Today and for Tomorrow, pub. by Regnery 1979. Based on a series of lectures Mises gave in Buenos Aires Argentina in 1959.
- von Mises, Ludwig, Bureacracy, originally written in 1944. See editions by the Mises Institute (www.Mises.org) and Lulu.com.
- Center for Individual Freedom: ObamaCare and the Doctor Shortage http://cfif.org/v/index.php/commentary/56-health-care/1706-obamacare-and-the-doctor-shortage
- Mustard Seeds: Obamacare Is Ultimately Not About Healthcare (it is a giant leap towards socialism). http://www.mymustardseeds.com/ultimate-goals-of-obamacare.html
- According to a Congressional Budget Office (CBO) study, 30 million Americans are still expected to be without health insurance in the year 2022. Obamacare won’t accomplish its core objective.
So What Do We Replace It With?
- The Pipes Plan, by Sally C. Pipes, pub. by Regnery Publishing Inc, 2012.
- Wall Street Journal: The Better Solution for 'Pre-Existing Conditions'. There's no need to turn the entire system upside down to help the people who can't buy private insurance. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444799904578048301788487428.html
- Paul Toffel, M.D.: An Original and Simple Proposal
- Pipes (1), chapter 13
- Ari Fleischer: The Taxman's Uncharitable New Rule
Legalize real health insurance …across the fruited plain
(across state lines)
- Gratzer p. 16.
- Pipes (1) p. 214
- Pipes (2) Chapter 3
Level the playing field, because World War II is over and we thought we won
- Pipes (1) pp 24-25
- Waters, p. 12.
Cut out the Legal Casino Mafia Middleman
- The Legal Examiner Wiki: Tort Reform and the Effect of Medical Malpractice Caps
- Amitabh Chandra, Anupam B. Jena and Seth A. Seabury: Defensive Medicine May Be Costlier Than It Seems: While economic studies don't show it, physicians say that fear of lawsuits spurs higher spending. They may be right. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323701904578280112638373302.html
Don’t subsidize unhealthy products
- Democratic Vision: Tobacco subsidies
From 1995 through 2011, the federal government paid out $1.329 billion in subsidies for the tobacco industry. In 2011 alone, taxpayers shelled out $191,218,926 in tobacco subsidies to 58,350 recipients, according to figures provided by the Mercatus Center at George Mason University.
Let this Patient Die
- Michael F. Cannon: Obamacare: The Resistance Endures
- Physicians and Obamacare:
- McCaughey pp. 92-96
- “Medicare made the rules and now punishes doctors for following them”
- Huffington Post: Polls Show Majority of Americans Oppose Obamacare
A Word About Charity
- Brooks, Arthur C., Who Really Cares: America’s Charity Divide: Who Gives, Who Doesn’t, and Why It Matters, pub. by Basic Books 2006.
- Wall Street Journal: Jenkins: ObamaCare—Upheld and Doomed. Regardless of the Supreme Court, fiscal reality will prevail. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303649504577496850233678284.html
- Wall Street Journal: Rivkin and Casey: The Opening for a Fresh ObamaCare Challenge. By defining the mandate as a tax, one that will not be uniformly applied, the Supreme Court ran afoul of the Constitution. http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324705104578151164101375482.html
- 60-Plus Association: Seniors Support Effort to Repeal Obamacare Mandate. Americans prep for ’sticker shock’ as insurance premiums continue to skyrocket.
- Wall Street Journal: House approves ObamaCare repeal in first vote since Supreme Court ruling
- Michael F. Cannon: Dislodging Obamacare: The healthcare law is still unpopular, unsustainable and vulnerable.
- Jonathan H. Adler: The Obamacare Cases Keep Coming: The individual-mandate litigation was only the beginning.
- Michael F. Cannon: If Oklahoma Wins Lawsuit, ‘The Whole Structure’ of ObamaCare ‘Starts to Fall Apart’
- Allysia Finley: New Jersey governor embraces the ObamaCare Medicaid expansion